Knob & Tube Wiring in Wells
Skilled Replacements & Retrofitting from HomeWiz
Knob and tube wiring is a method of electrical wiring that was popular from the late 1800s to the 1940s — a common occurrence in Wells homes. However, electrical methods have advanced significantly since then, rendering knob and tube obsolete and even dangerous.
The Dangers of Knob and Tube Wiring:
- Since knob and tube wiring isn’t grounded, it increases the likelihood of electrocution and damage to equipment
- The age of knob and tube wiring lends itself to deterioration, brittleness and missing insulation that increases the risk of fires
- Even if you have newer wiring, it’s common to find it improperly connected to the older system, causing shock hazards, reverse polarity issues, switched neutrals, overloaded circuits, and other dangers.
Knob and Tube wiring is like the cause if you experience any of the following:
- Flickering lights
- A sizzling sound when switching lights on or off
- Dimming lights when appliances start
- Loosely-fitting plugs
- Warm wires, extension cords, or fuse boxes
- A repeatedly tripping breaker, or a breaker that never trips
If the dangers aren’t reason enough to remove knob and tube wiring, consider that it’s nearly impossible to insulate, insure, or mortgage a home with knob and tube. Although there are band-aid fixes, the best solution is knob and tube removal and replacement. Not only does it guarantee a safer house, but it’s a smart investment that adds significant value to your home. Knob and tube removal is a good idea in the long term to accommodate future electrical needs and for reselling purposes.
Knob and tube removal isn’t an easy job and may take 1-3 weeks depending on the size and construction of your house. It requires an in-depth diagnostic of your home by an expert technician. Fortunately, the experts at HomeWiz have over 25 years of experience with knob and tube removal, and we’ll do the job professional, efficiently, and safely.
If you suspect your home has knob and tube wiring, have it serviced by the experts from HomeWiz! Contact us today.
Our Family Cares, and It Really Shows:
I feel I have now found the company I will always use and highly recommended to friends and family.- Kevin L.
I now can control my thermostat, lights and window shades all from my phone! Super slick!- Robert P.
Dan did a great job helping me understand what was going on with our system and the best way forward.- Kimberly H.
I called them, they showed up on time, gave me a price, and did the job the same day!- Christopher B.
Everything went great with them and I’d definitely use them again.- David T.